Monday 3 June 2013

Room for Improvement: Dining Room Make Over

room for improvement challenge
A few weeks ago I was lucky enough to have received an email from Money Supermarket. They asked me if I would like to take part in their Room For Improvement challenge. 

The brief? Improve a room of your choice for just £50 using whatever methods you like!

The best part? They gave each participant the £50 to do the challenge! Since Chris and I are using just one room as our bedroom, lounge, study and dining room, I decided to improve one area of it. It was a tough decision but in the end I settled on the dining area. Primarily because before there wasn't really one before, just a dining table which we didn't use! Take a look at the before and after photos, then I will tell you what I spent my money on.

BEFORE
before
AFTER
after
So we did a bit of rearranging and moved the dining table to what had previously been our lounge area.  First things first we needed some chairs. I scored 4 for just £10 at a car boot sale! (I'm only showing 2 in the pictures because we don't have room for all 4 yet) Next I had to paint them, so I went and bought a tin of Craig &; Rose 1829 Pale Mortlake Cream, from B&Q for £11.98 and got to work sanding them down. Four coats later and they were nearly finished, but I wanted to add a little bit of an accent colour. Luckily we had some light blue paint left over from another project, so I added the finishing touches! Here are the before, during and after pictures of the chairs. 
chair beforechair being paintedpale mortlake creamduck egg blue
I also bought some plain white calico off of ebay, which cost £4.20 including postage.  I simply covered over the horrible brown leather effect fabric, and used a fabric staple gun on the reverse to secure.

Next up, I wanted something for the centre of the table, so I bought a cute little cut glass pot for £1 from a car boot sale. I decided to continue with the blue theme, and found some spray paint at The Range for £4.99 to match the colour on my chairs. I had a plant which I had been meaning to re-pot, so I thought he would be right at home in the centre of the dining table.
succulent
I didn't want to hang anything on the walls, since we will be moving in a few weeks time (into our very own house, yay!) But, the wall did look rather bare, so I came up with an alternative; really tall flowers! I have always loved the way the cherry blossom looks, it reminds me of beautiful Japanese paintings. So, I was rather chuffed when I found faux cherry blossom branches for £2.99 each at Dunelm Mill. I bought 3 of them, and popped them into a painted decanter which I already had.

cherry blossom
I found a rather lovely jug in TK Maxx FOR £13, and obviously I needed to buy it to match the pretty pink cherry blossom flowers. With my last pennies I bought some wine glasses for £3.14 from Dunelm Mill, since we will definitely be needing those the day we move into our new house!
jug
Dining Room Decoration
Total Spend = £57.28 (Ok, a little bit over, but not far off!)

While I was perusing my Bloglovin feed this morning I spotted a few of my bloggy friends who had also taken part in this challenge. If you fancy seeing some more ways to brighten up a room for £50 why not pop over to Claire, Rachel and Harriet's blogs.

Laura xXx

17 comments:

  1. Wow! I love what you've done -looks really elegant. X

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks so beautiful!! My favourite part is the little blue detail on the chair.

    Thanks for the link! x

    ReplyDelete
  3. You've done a fabulous job, and on such a tight budget - very impressive

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those chairs look so much nicer! Great post :) Can't believe you did all that for under £60! x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just love that cut glass pot that you spray painted. I am so inspired to go thrifting now. :)

    Jenn V.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your room looks lovely - peaceful and calm - I could imagine it'd be a good place to sit and relax with a cup of tea.

    Can't believe that cherry blossom was only £2.99 as well - Dunelm Mill and The Range are both great for bargains - mental note made to visit them both soon! :-) x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, that looks so great! I love the cherry blossoms :) Your changes really brighten up the room.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love what you've done and such a good buy with the chairs!

    http://dizzymissjames.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your room looks great! What spray paint did you use to paint the little glass dish? It looks great! I keep seeing cut glass things in charity shops but I'm not sure what to paint them with!
    K x

    http://vintagecrossesandkisses.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I use Plasti-Kote. It works pretty well :)

      Delete
  10. Oh my, what a great transformation! It looks absolutely lovely, I'd love to have such a dining room.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very pretty! It looks so different with your beautiful touches.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What an improvement! I love it, everything looks so pretty in the new room! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You have done a great job on this article. It’s very readable and highly intelligent. You have even managed to make it understandable and easy to read. You have some real writing talent. Thank you.
    Eagle Building Solutions

    ReplyDelete
  15. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I must say that this blog is very useful for me.

    BKT Tractor Front Tyre

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Powered by Blogger.

© 2011 Wrapped Up In Rainbows, AllRightsReserved.

Designed by ScreenWritersArena